Get ready for an incredible experience from June 21st to June 25th as Sled Island 2023, the most epic music and arts festival of the summer, takes over. The festival has just unveiled its full lineup of artists for this year, and trust us, it’s absolutely mind-blowing!
As one of the most popular fests in town with over 40,000 attendees each year, Sled Island 2023 hardly needs an intro. But on the off chance you aren’t familiar with it, the event is a five-day music and comedy fest taking place at multiple venues across Calgary.
Given its staggering success last year, the festival has made a smashing return this year with an interesting cross-genre collection of musical talent. Meaning you can enjoy some of the best talent of our times across several genres. From indie rock to Iranian experimental, whatever your pick, they have a sound for you.
You can expect to see genre-defying indie/alternative artist Bartees Strange performing on the opening night at the #1 Royal Canadian Legion. As it happens Strange is also the guest curator for the festival. Meaning, eight of his chosen artists will also be performing. Including the nominated Latin folk innovator Helado Negro.
Here is a list of some of the artists you can witness this year—
- garage rock chameleons Osees
- Chicago-based indie rock three-piece DEHD
- cosmic free jazz legends Sun Ra Arkestra
- Toronto’s viral hip-hop sensation Akintoye
- gothic folk artist Emma Ruth Rundle
- trans activist and indie pop musician Vivek Shraya
- Philadelphia-based punk rock revolutionaries Mannequin Pussy
- alternative R&B/hip-hop artist Amindi
- Toronto-based rapper and 2019 Polaris Music Prize winner Haviah Mighty
- indie pop musician SPELLLING
- post-metal supergroup SUMAC
- progressive black metal outfit Liturgy
- experimental metal duo The Body
- Portland-based heavy psych four-piece Blackwater Holylight
- Montreal post-punk trio Cola
- Mexican grunge-meets-shoegaze outfit Margaritas Podridas
- experimental electro-pop duo Water From Your Eyes
- bossa nova-infused psych-folk artist Sessa
- Brooklyn-based garage rock trio THICK
- Montreal electronic punk duo Pelada
- ambient metal trio BIG|BRAVE
- genre-bending death metal three-piece Suffering Hour
Selected by Bartees Strange:
- grunge-meets-indie group Pom Pom Squad
- soulful singer-songwriter KAINA
- Japanese jazz rap artist and saxophonist Sen Morimoto
- math rock-inspired emo outfit Gulfer
- Philadelphia-based electronic beatmaker JWords
- genre-agnostic alternative act Maneka
- acclaimed avant-garde rapper Maassai
Exciting, eh? But there’s more!
In addition to its eclectic musical line-up, Sled Island 2023 will also feature two comedy nights. Gear up to get your funnybones tickled with hilarious acts on Friday, June 23rd and Saturday, June 24th. And their comedy headliner is the Juno award-winning comedian and Ramy actor Dave Merheje (Oh joy!).
We’ve got the scoop: a massive ice cream festival will kick off in Calgary next month
See larger-than-life plant sculptures at Calgary’s WildScapes — the only event of its kind in Western Canada
Simply put, the festival is unmissable for anyone looking for an epic summer fest.
Passes and single-show tickets to Sled Island 2023 are now on sale. Head over to the Sled Island website below to grab your tix.