This year’s Forbes Billionaires list has come out, and with it the roundup of the richest Canadians in 2022. Compared to last year, things seem to have cooled down for our country’s ultra-wealthy clique. But even still, there are some mind-boggling numbers on there.
There is one serious Cinderella story on the list, if you can call it that. From a (relatively) modest $1.9B in 2021, Binance founder Changpeng Zhao has seen an absolute explosion of wealth. He rocketed up to an absolutely wild net worth of $65 billion this year, and is now the 26th richest person in the entire world…
— CZ 🔶 Binance (@cz_binance) April 7, 2022
So, let’s see who else made the list of the richest Canadians for 2022, according to Forbes:
- Changpeng Zhao, Founder and CEO of Binance – $65B (up $63.1B from 2021)
- David Thomson and family, Chairman of Thomson-Reuters – $49.2B (up $7.3B from 2021)
- Jim Pattison, CEO and Chairman of Jim Pattison Group – $12.2B (up $2.6B from 2021)
- David Cheriton, Comp. Sci. Prof at Stanford University and venture capitalist – $10.9B (up $2.1B from 2021)
- Joseph Tsai, Vice-Chairman of Alibaba Group – $8.4B (down $3.2B from 2021)
- Anthony von Mandl, Founder and CEO of Mark Anthony Group – $8.4B (down $300M from 2021)
- Mark Scheinberg, Co-Founder of PokerStars – $5.3B (up $400M from 2021)
- Chip Wilson, Founder and former CEO of lululemon – $5.3B (up $400M from 2021)
- Alain Bouchard, Co-Founder of Alimentation Couche-Tard, $5B (up $800M from 2021)
- Huang Chulong, Chairman of Galaxy Group, $5B (down $1.8B from 2021)
Of course, these are just the top 10, and as it turns out, Canada is now home to a whopping 64 billionaires. In fact, one of the best-known of them just slipped out of the top 10 this year. Tobi Lutke, who is the man behind Shopify, has been hit hard by the return of in-store shopping, and has seen his net worth (largely associated with Shopify’s stock price) drop by an astounding $4.8B in a single year.
Yeah, these are numbers we can’t even begin to wrap our heads around. But hey, if you’re looking to see who the richest Canadians are this year, here’s where you can find more information. Who knows, maybe you’ll bump into a billionaire the next time you’re at Starbucks or something.