It looks like the times are changing once again here in Ontario. Premier Doug Ford announced on Friday that the province is on track to lift almost all of the remaining restrictions at businesses and is working towards a plan to get rid of the vaccine passport system.
Following in the footsteps of Alberta and Saskatchewan, Ford said that Ontario’s top doctor Kieran Moore is “now working on a plan that will allow us to remove the vaccine passport system.”
This means you will no longer be required to present your vaccine QR code to go to a gym, attend a concert, or dine indoors at a restaurant. The premier added that Dr. Moore believes it’s time to move forward with the recommendations to remove the system.
View this post on Instagram
“Today, we’re on track to remove almost all restrictions for businesses as part of our reopening plan,” said the premier.
As of Friday, no exact date was given as to when the restrictions will end.
As of right now, indoor establishments and attractions are allowed to be open at 50% capacity, and larger venues like concert halls and arenas can operate at a maximum capacity of 500 people.
On February 21st, capacity limits will be removed entirely at indoor settings where proof of vaccination is required and capacity at arenas and concert venues will be increased to 50%. Higher-risk settings with dancing will be allowed to open at 25%.
Ford said last month that all remaining capacity limits would be removed by March 14th but with proof of vaccination requirements in place. However, with the news that the passport system will be removed, it’s not clear what the timeline will look like now.