You’ve heard it before but these are unprecedented times. While we all may be tired of hearing it, the truth of the matter is hard to deny. From companies big and small to restaurants, it certainly hasn’t been an easy couple of years to navigate but – with dedication and support, many have actually managed to make it through to the other side better and stronger than ever. From breweries to puppy apparel companies, The Globe and Mail have just published their 2021 list of Canada’s Top Growing Companies and the health industry has had quite a showing.
This year’s list included 448 businesses from all over the country – all of which still made $2 million in annual sales in its most recent fiscal year, overcoming the major hurdle that was 2020/2021.
In addition to meeting their sales quota, they also have to be headquartered in Canada and be an independent for-profit organization.
So who made the cut and how? What exactly do they take into consideration when building the list?
View this post on Instagram
“Applicant companies had to complete a full application and supply supporting financial documentation for both 2017 and 2020,” they explain on their website.
“We evaluated companies based on the most recent fiscal year for which financial statements were available, with the latest year-end date of April 30, 2021. In some unique cases, companies were evaluated on calendar years instead of fiscal.”
With all of this taken into consideration – it was actually Toronto snack bar company, The Good Fat Co. Ltd who landed the top spot this year. With a three-year growth revenue of 19,263%, the company of only 25 people made between$25M-$50M last year, which is insane.
Next on their list was Montreal’s Mistplay – described as a ” loyalty program for players of mobile video,” who were up 13,154% and made $25M-$50M USD, followed by the pay-as-you-go solar kit company from Toronto, Solar Panda (up 10,465% in 2020.)
View this post on Instagram
Here are the ten top companies on the list of the Globe and Mail’s Top Growing Companies in Canada, along with their industry and three-year revenue growth.
- The Good Fat Co. Ltd. – Healthy snack bars – Toronto – 19,263%
- Mistplay – Mobile video game loyalty programs – Montreal – 13,154%
- Solar Panda – Sells off-grid solar kits – Toronto – 10,465%
- The Canadian Shield – PPE & medical equipment – Waterloo – 10,139%
- AbCellera – Pharmaceuticals – Vancouver – 6,562%
- Maple Corp – Healthcare Technology – Toronto – 5,498%
- Delta 9 Cannabis Inc. – Cannabis (wholesale, retail, medical) – Winnipeg – 5,413%
- Nude – Low-sugar alcoholic seltzers & sodas – Vancouver – 4,611%
- Dialogue Health Technologies – Healthcare Technology – Montreal – 4,215%
- GoFor Delivers – Rapid local delivery – Ottawa – 3,744%
If you’d like to see the rest of their 2021 list of Canada’s Top Growing Companies list you can visit the Globe and Mail’s website here.
Did any of these surprise you – or were you just distracted by the fact there were 448 companies on it? Weird number to call it quits, don’t you think? Let us know – and keep supporting local, to your area folks – a little support goes a long way.