Hold onto your hats, Alberta because we’re going full speed ahead. Despite only moving into stage one of Alberta’s reopening strategy today, June 1st, Premier Jason Kenney just announced that the province is set to move right into stage two on Thursday, June 10th.
Ready or not, summer 2021 is going to hit us like a ton of bricks.
In a conference held today, Kenney said that as long as hospitalizations remain under 500 people, Alberta will move forward with its next steps only nine short days from now.
He said that because 60% of the provincial population has already received their first dose, we’re right on track, which is wonderful, but sudden news.
Here’s what to know about Playland opening to the public next week
Here are 12 places to get the absolute best donuts in Calgary
In the event that Alberta does follow through with this, here’s what you can expect to see in addition to everything that was given the A-OK today:
- Outdoor social gatherings – up to 20 people with distancing (indoor social gatherings still not permitted)
- Indoor recreation, entertainment and other settings (rec centres, arenas, cinemas, theatres, museums, galleries, libraries) – open at 30% of fire code occupancy
- Gyms and fitness studios – open for solo and drop-in activities and indoor fitness classes with 3-metre distancing
- Funeral services – up to 20 people, indoors and outdoors (receptions permitted outdoors only)
- Wedding ceremonies – up to 20 people, indoors and outdoors (receptions permitted outdoors only)
- Places of worship – 1/3 of fire code occupancy
- Personal and wellness services – resume walk-in service
- Post-secondary – resume in-person learning
- Restaurants – 6 people per table max, indoors or outdoors
- Retail – 1/3 of fire code occupancy (must maintain the ability to distance)
- Youth activities (day camps, play centres) – resume with restrictions
- Youth and adult sports – resume with no restrictions, indoors and outdoors
- Outdoor public gatherings (concerts/festivals) – up to 150 people
- Outdoor fixed seating facilities (grandstands) – 1/3 seated capacity
- Work from home order is lifted but still recommended
- Distancing and masking requirements remain in effect
They’re not playing around, folks! It’s going to be an interesting few weeks, but we want to hear from you!
How do you feel about moving into stage two so soon? Are you excited, surprised – a combination of both?
We know that this is a confusing time, so, if you need any confirmation or if you just want more information about Alberta’s reopening strategy, please visit the official government website here.
As always, please stay safe, be smart and continue to wash your hands… because no matter what restrictions are lifted, personal hygiene is still extremely important.
Read more in Lifestyle
10 of the best things to do in Calgary this week (March 20-24)
"It's out of control": Luke Combs just gushed about this Alberta destination on Joe Rogan's podcast
Lights, camera, action: 6 shows and movies filming in Alberta this spring
Canadians can get quick access to funds after filing taxes with this popular provider
Curiocity In Your Inbox!
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!Subscribe Now