So sure, we’re a little biased, but we honestly think that we live in one of the most beautiful places in the world. From wildlife to the Rockies, we’ve got a backyard worth envying and as it turns out, we’re certainly not alone in believing that! According to a brand new list published by US World News, Alberta destinations made up 3 of the top 5 Best National Parks in all of Canada.
By analyzing and ranking each park on its accessibility, traveller sentiment, and scenic beauty it was actually Jasper that took the top spot overall.
Revered for its world-renowned hiking, biking, boating, and for being the world’s second-largest dark-sky reserve, US News placed the western Alberta wonder at number 1, followed in second place by Gros Morne National Park in Newfoundland.
At 3rd place, the bustling mountain town of Banff was named for having (what honestly feels like) a million different things to do and see. From wetlands to hot springs, pine forests and many ski resorts, it really was no surprise to us they’re favoured over every other national park in the country.
Finally, one ranking behind Yoho National Park in British Columbia, the list saw Waterton Lakes round out the top 5.
Though they did mention it was the smallest park in the Rocky Mountains, USN praised it for having “a lot of impressive sights within its nearly 124,800 acres.”
With waterfalls, mountains, wildflowers and wildlife It really is no wonder that they were placed as high as they were.
So, who made up the rest of the list? Well, here is the full ranking of the 15 best national parks in Canada:
1. Jasper National Park, Alberta
2. Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland
3. Banff National Park, Alberta
4. Yoho National Park, BC
5. Waterton Lakes National Park, Alberta
6. Kootenay National Park, BC
7. Auyuittuq National Park. Nunavut
8. Pacific Rim National Park Reserve, BC
9. Kluane National Park and Reserve, Yukon
10. Cape Breton Highlands National Park, Nova Scotia
11. Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba
12. Gwaii Hamnas National Park Reserve, BC
13. Fundy National Park, New Brunswick
14. Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site, Nova Scotia
15. Wapusk National Park, Manitoba
Until next year, brag away, Alberta. We think you’ve earned it!