We love to dabble in some fun facts. It’s how we get our Tinder dates to never talk to us again. You just hit ’em with the “did you know that dolphins can recognize themselves in a mirror?” and they go “why do you know that and why are you telling me?” Super fun. We decided to up the ante and give you 20 fun facts about Toronto, our own beloved city. Let’s dive in!
Here are 20 fun facts about Toronto that’ll prove to your friends we live in Canada’s coolest spot.
- Toronto plays host to over 40 million visitors every year
- Toronto is the only Canadian city with 7 major sports teams (yay sports!)
- Almost a quarter of Canada’s entire population lives within a 160km radius of Toronto
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Toronto was -31.3 °C, with a wind chill of -44.7 °C. Friggin brrrr!
- The Toronto Zoo is the largest in Canada, with 16,000 animals calling it home
- Casa Loma is the only actual, real castle in North America
- Toronto is more southerly than Milan
- Toronto is the third-largest movie production hub in North America
- The Toronto Islands are the largest urban car-free community in North America
- Toronto has over 1,500 parks and 10 million trees
- The CNE uses 15,240 decks of cards every year
- Toronto hosts the largest single-day parade in North America- Caribana!
- There are over 1.6 million daily trips on the TTC, and the Toronto transit system is the second largest in North America
- Toronto used to be called York, the Upper Canada until 1834
- Drake didn’t coin “The 6ix,” sorry. It was used as a term for the original 6 areas of Toronto: Old Toronto, York, North York, East York, Etobicoke, and Scarborough
- Along with that, only about 7% of people ever really refer to it as “The 6ix”
- Pizza Pizza was founded in Etobicoke the same year the Leafs won the cup (1967)
- The Leafs have not won since, but Pizza Pizza is doing pretty well
- There are over 8,000 restaurants in Toronto, and it would take you 22 years to try them all if you tried a new one every night
- A quarter of films set in American cities are actually filmed in Toronto
How many times did we just say “Toronto?” Way too many. Hope you enjoyed the fun facts about Toronto, Toronto!