We love to dabble in some fun facts. It’s how we get our Tinder dates to never talk to us again. You just hit ’em with the “did you know that dolphins can recognize themselves in a mirror?” and they go “why do you know that and why are you telling me?” Super fun. We decided to up the ante and give you 15 fun facts about Calgary, our own beloved city. Let’s dive in!
Here are 15 fun facts about Calgary!
- The Calgary Stampede features the largest rodeo in the world
- Fish Creek Park is the second-largest urban park in Canada
- Calgary was named the 4th most livable city in the world in 2018
- The coldest temperature ever recorded in Calgary was a bone chilling -45 °C
- You can walk 18km through downtown without ever going outside via the Plus 15 network!
- The median age in Calgary is a sprightly 36 years, making it a very young city
- Almost a quarter of Calgary’s population is foreign-born
- According to Clearwater, Calgary is the cleanest city in the world
- There are more volunteers per capita in Calgary than any other Canadian city
- Calgary is Canada’s sunniest city, with 333 average sunshine days per year
- June tends to be the rainiest month, and January tends to be the coldest. Calgary weather follows no rules, though
- On summer solstice, Calgary gets almost 17 hours of sunlight. Yay!
- On winter solstice, Calgary gets a little less than 8 hours of sunlight. Boo!
- Calgary’s altitude of 3,800 feet is downright lofty- well above (pun intended) the Canadian average
- The Chinook winds can raise the temperature by as much as 20 degrees in a matter of hours
Home of the Week: A massive private estate in the NW
Get the workout of your dreams at this puppy yoga class coming soon
How many times did we just say “Calgary?” Way too many. Hope you enjoyed the fun facts about Calgary, Calgary!
Read more in Lifestyle
10 stunning hikes that you can do near Calgary this spring
Mr. Worldwide: Pitbull is set to kick off the 2023 Calgary Stampede & here's when you can get tickets
Happy first day of Spring! Here's what's in the forecast for Calgary this week
Pedro Pascal as Calgary Stampede's parade marshal? There's a petition for it & it has over 5k signatures
Curiocity In Your Inbox!
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!Subscribe Now