Spring has brought with it some tasty news – Americans love pizza! Apparently, our nation spends $38 billion a year on pizza. With so much love for pizza in the air, Betting.com decided to look into the cost of a takeout pizza in 50 cities across the United States, here’s where Seattle sits.
Drum roll, please… Portland was actually found to be the most expensive city in the US for a takeout pizza. Setting residents back an average of $21.67 for a 14-inch margherita pizza, which amounts to $2.71 per slice. Following close behind were San Jose and New York City, with the average cost of a pizza being $21.59 and $21.48, respectively.
Seattle was just ranked among the healthiest cities in America
6 tasty new restaurants to check out in Seattle
Here’s a look at the top 10 most expensive cities for pizza in the US:
- Portland, Oregon – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.67, cost per slice is $2.71)
- San Jose, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.59, cost per slice is $2.70)
- New York City, New York – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.48, cost per slice is $2.69)
- San Francisco, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.47, cost per slice is $2.68)
- Seattle, Washington – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.14, cost per slice is $2.64)
- Fresno, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $21.05, cost per slice is $2.63)
- Chicago, Illinois – (A 14” margherita pizza is $20.88, cost per slice is $2.61)
- Los Angeles, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $19.99, making the cost per slice $2.50)
- Bakersfield, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $19.92, making the cost per slice $2.49)
- San Diego, California – (A 14” margherita pizza is $19.85, making the cost per slice $2.48)
Of course, Washington State also features on the list, with Seattle coming in fifth place with an average cost of $21.14 for a 14-inch margherita pizza.
On the other end of the scale, Detroit, home to the famous Detroit-style pizza, has the cheapest pizza in the nation, costing an average of $13.39 for a 14-inch margherita pizza. El Paso and Oklahoma City follow in second and third place, with pizza costing $13.90 and $13.99 on average, respectively.
It’s worth noting that when it comes to the cost of a slice, the average cost of a pizza was divided by eight. So, if you’re feeling peckish and on a budget, it might be time for a trip to Detroit.
Read more in Food & Drink
Canada's favorite Asian grocery store to open its first US location near Seattle & is hiring for over 300 jobs
Jerk Shack just opened a brand new location & here's where to find it
Layers Sandwich Co is opening its first permanent location & here's where
Howdy Bagel just opened its first permanent location and here's where to find it
Curiocity In Your Inbox!
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!Subscribe Now