Naming Washington State Ferries is a huge deal and long process usually involving a naming contest with all sorts of great and often humorous submissions. However, the Seattle Mariners have really stolen the show the past few weeks and in honor of that Governor Jay Inslee has has signed a proclamation renaming all 21 of the state’s ferries after the team. Ready to meet “Big Dumper” and “Juliooooooooooo”? Let’s check out all of the names.
Now before you get worried, the name change is only effective as long as the team remains in the playoffs. While we love the Mariners they can’t beat the many amazing and culturally significant names of our local ferry system. However, we all know it’s not every day that they make the playoffs, so let’s enjoy a little fun for a bit.
10 of the best sports bars in Seattle to watch the Mariners games
Washington state minimum wage to increase in 2023 & here’s what to know
In honor of the @Mariners, @GovInslee has directed that all 21 vessels in our fleet be temporarily renamed after players and personnel starting tomorrow 10/13 through as long as the #Mariners remain in the 2022 @MLB Postseason. #SeaUsRise https://t.co/5bIJWtuydn pic.twitter.com/cwTGsezoMY
— Washington State Ferries (@wsferries) October 12, 2022
Here’s a list of all of the ferries and their new names.
• Cathlamet: M/V Diego Castillo
• Chelan: M/V J.P. Crawford
• Chetzemoka: M/V Marco Gonzales
• Chimacum: M/V Carlos Santana
• Issaquah: M/V Paul Sewald
• Kaleetan: M/V Adam Frazier
• Kennewick: M/V Dylan Moore
• Kitsap: M/V Los Bomberos
• Kittitas: M/V Mitch Haniger
• Puyallup: M/V Ty “Vive Le” France
• Salish: M/V Andres Muñoz
• Samish: M/V Logan Gilbert
• Sealth: M/V Robbie Ray
• Spokane: M/V Luis “La Piedra” Castillo
• Suquamish: M/V The Skipper Scott Servais
• Tacoma: M/V Mariners “Good Vibes Only”
• Tillikum: M/V George Kirby
• Tokitae: M/V Jarred Kelenic
• Walla Walla: M/V Juliooooooooooo
• Wenatchee: M/V Cal “Big Dumper” Raleigh
• Yakima: M/V Eugenio Suárez
If you’re planning on making a trip across Puget Sound this weekend, keep your ears open for your favorite Seattle Mariners names. Go M’s!
Read more in Lifestyle
Seattle Mariners' T-Mobile Park ranks among best ballparks in nation
A rare 1992 Jim Olson house just hit the market on one of Capitol Hill's premier streets
The Skagit Valley Tulip Festival starts this weekend & here are your options
Seattle just ranked among the best cities to study in the US
Curiocity In Your Inbox!
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!Subscribe Now