Even with just a few weeks of spring behind us, we’re already daydreaming about what we’re going to get up to this summer. We guess that the folks at Lonely Planet feel the same, because they just put out a list of the top 10 beaches in Canada for this year. Well, we’ve got our own opinions, but let’s check it out.
Rather than make a true top 10 list, these picks represent the best kinds of beaches across the country. And, we’ll admit, we’re impressed with how much diversity they managed to fit in there. From coast to coast, Canada has some beautiful lakes to explore, and Lonely Planet left no stone unturned.
So, let’s see what spots got the nod!
- San Josef Bay, British Columbia- Best Wilderness Beach
- Stanhope Beach, Prince Edward Island- Best Beach for Avoiding the Crowds
- Wasaga Beach, Ontario- Best Beach for Swimming
- Chesterman Beach, British Columbia- Best Beach for Surfing
- Parlee Beach, New Brunswick- Best Beach for Families
- Kitsilano Beach, British Columbia- Best Urban Beach
- Shallow Bay, Newfoundland & Labrador- Best Beach for Kayaking
- Annette Lake, Alberta- Best Beach for Wildlife
- Plage de la Grande Échouerie, Quebec- Best Beach for Kitesurfing
- Dunes Beach, Ontario- Best Beach for Sand Dunes
What do you think, folks? Personally we agree with some of the picks (like Chesterman Beach and Stanhope Beach) but feel a little iffy about some of the others. But hey, we’ve got our own local guides to write later this spring, so stay tuned for our own thoughts on it.
If you’d like to see why each beach got picked, you can check out the full report on the top beaches in Canada on Lonely Planet’s website. Otherwise, start packing your day bag!