While Curiocity does not normally traverse the waters of geopolitics or international conflict, some stories and moments in history override that stance. Ukraine, a country of 45 million people and ally to Canada, has been invaded by Russian forces in the largest European conflict since World War II.
If you’re wondering how to help Ukraine and are in Canada, we’ve put together a list of confirmed resources you can use:
- Ukraine Crisis Relief Fund: Fund created by GlobalGiving that offers food, shelter, and clean water for refugees, access to education and health and psychosocial support
- Ukraine Humanitarian Crisis Appeal: Red Cross initiative that could include preparedness, immediate and ongoing relief efforts, long-term recovery, resiliency, and other critical humanitarian activities as needs arise. Matched dollar for dollar by the Canadian federal government
- Ukraine Humanitarian Fund: UN-backed fund that helps NGOs and Ukraine-based agencies deliver a variety of aid, including food, water, shelter and other basic support
- Canada-Ukraine Foundation: Canadian foundation with the aiming to coordinate, develop, organize, and deliver assistance projects generated by Canadians and directed to Ukraine
- Kyiv Independent: Ukrainian English-language media outlet covering ongoing events
- Médecins sans frontières (Doctors Without Borders): Formerly focused on COVID-19 issues, but shifting to emergency-preparedness response to be ready for a variety of potential needs.
- Razom for Ukraine: Pro-democracy organization raising funds across a variety of purposes, including medical aid
- Revived Soldiers Ukraine: Non-profit organization dedicated to providing aid to the people of Ukraine so that they may fulfill fundamental rights and freedoms such as right to life, right to appropriate and affordable medical care, freedom of belief and freedom for an adequate standard of living
- Save the Children: International organization ready to provide urgent humanitarian assistance to children and their families in the region
- Voices of Children: Ukrainian charity that provides psychological and psychosocial support to children
Military/Mental Health Aid
- Phoenix Wings: Ukrainian charity that provides non-lethal assistance, ranging from proper protective gear to repairing military buildings
- Armed Forces of Ukraine: Direct donations for logistical and medical support of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
- Come Back Alive Foundation: Ukrainian foundation with the goal to supply and repair equipment, train the military and officers, help change the Armed Forces, talk about the war firsthand, and curb the flow of propaganda and disinformation
These are some of the verified ways you can currently help Ukraine while in Canada.