On Monday, February 6th, a devastating 7.8-magnitude earthquake hit southeastern Turkey (Türkiye) and northwestern Syria, killing more than 7,000 people in both countries and injuring thousands more. An international outpour of support is underway, including $10 million in aid from the federal government of Canada to Turkey and Syria.
“After yesterday’s devastating earthquakes, we’re providing $10 million in immediate aid to the people of Türkiye and Syria – and we’ll continue to provide support as the situation evolves,” said Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Tuesday. “Our partners are already distributing food, emergency fuel, and shelter items.”
Canadians can get involved by donating to these registered charities in Canada and international nonprofits.
Canadian organizations to donate to
- Doctors Without Borders (Charity Registration Number: 13527 5857 RR0001)
- Islamic Relief Canada (Charity Registration Number: 82189 6875 RR0001)
- Oxfam Canada (Charity Registration Number: 12971 6866 RR0001)
- Save the Children Canada (Charity Registration Number: 10795 8621 RR0001)
- Red Cross Canada (Charity Registration Number: 11921 9814 RR0001)
International organizations to donate to
- International Rescue Committee (EIN number: 13-5660870)
- Turkish Red Crescent (Part of the International Committee of the Red Cross)
- IHH Humanitarian Relief Foundation (İHH Hakkında) and partner aid foundations per city
- Project HOPE (EIN number: 53-0242962)
- Care (EIN number: 13-1685039)
🟥 Since the earthquake;
❝How can I help?❞,
❝How can I donate?❞
Here are our bank details to answer all these questions:🔻 pic.twitter.com/QZgyrYjASV
— Türk Kızılay International (@RedCrescent) February 6, 2023
Funds will be used to aid search & rescue efforts in either or both countries, and provide life-saving care to earthquake survivors. As well, there are donation centres across the country currently accepting winter clothing, food, and other emergency supplies to be transported to affected areas. Be sure to check in with your local Turkey consulate.
Our hearts are with those affected by the tragic earthquakes in Syria and Turkey. pic.twitter.com/Etnkj2nEFQ
— TELUS (@TELUS) February 6, 2023