2020 was the year that TikTok took off. From cringe-worthy videos made by celebrities who had no business being on the app to E-boys and plenty of duets, the platform practically dominated quarantine by keeping us busy and connected in a time when social interaction is what we needed most.
Not only did TikTok’s popularity light a fire under the careers of Megan Thee Stallion and Lil Nas X, but it also gave people a new space to share incredible stories, motivate, inspire and educate others on culture, race, sexual orientation, and religion.
Today, with the year coming to an end – the platform actually released its 2020 list of most beloved creators, videos and even shared the songs that were used the most to make them! Let’s take a look-see, shall we?
TikTok videos Canadians loved in 2020:
1. @davidbeck05 – Who knew water balloons could be so satisfying
2. @Megmartel – Four generations in one TikTok
3. @big.bidou – This cleaning hack broke the internet
4. @dobyandblue – Corgis: So short. So adorable.
5. @hermes_and_madi – Good morning from this chihuahua
Most impactful Canadian creators
View this post on Instagram
1. @tiamiscihk – Indigenous education
2. @kissyduerre – Need to know: transgender education
3. @daveanddheana – Self-defense moves
4. @marklharrison – Earth is truly round
5. @nilered – Science rules!
6. @marcolivier_slam – Black or white? Aren’t we all human?
The rising Canadian stars of 2020
Top TikTok songs of 2020
1. “Savage Love” (Laxed – Siren Beat) – Jawsh 685 & Jason Derulo
2. “Savage” Remix – Megan Thee Stallion
3. “OUT WEST” (feat. Young Thug) – Travis Scott
4. “WAP” (feat. Megan Thee Stallion) – Cardi B
5. “Say So” – Doja Cat
6. “Tap In” – Saweetie
7. “The Box” – Roddy Ricch
8. “Rags2Riches” (feat. ATR Son Son) – Rod Wave
9. “Supalonely” (feat. Gus Dapperton) – BENEE
10. “What You Know Bout Love” – Pop Smoke
Well, there you have it, Canada. Hopefully, TikTok is around for years to come – because honestly, it’s the only thing that got us through after they had announced that Vine was dead and gone. Here’s to another year of dancing, crying, laughing and cringing, TikTok!
Read more in Lifestyle
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!