Ever wanted to work abroad? Well, Canada’s making your chances to do so, much greater! The government is increasing its intake for the International Experience Canada (IEC) Program and here’s how to apply.
Starting January 9, 2023, Canadian and international youth will be able to apply for the IEC program for 2023. And the Canadian government has just announced that they’ve increased the number of applicants who can apply by 20%, granting more opportunities for eager travellers to explore countries they’ve never imagined.
But what exactly is IEC? According to the official site, it’s a reciprocal program that allows Canadian and international youth to work and travel in each other’s countries.
“This increase means that nearly 90,000 candidates will be able to work and travel in Canada, including Francophone youth, which will help employers fill labour gaps, including for seasonal work opportunities in Canada’s tourism industry,” per the announcement made last month.
View this post on Instagram
According to the IEC, Canada has youth mobility arrangements with 36 countries and foreign territories. In order to be eligible for the program, you must fall under these categories:
- Working Holiday participants: Open work permit that allows them to work anywhere in the host country to support their travels.
- International Co-op: Participants receive an employer-specific work permit that allows students to gain targeted experience in their field of study.
- Young Professionals: Participants receive an employer-specific work permit to gain targeted, professional work experience that is within their field of study or career path.
Depending on the country you are looking to apply to, you will need a specific Visa and/or have a job offer. You can find out more about that when clicking your country of interest, here.
The Canadian government gives a breakdown of how to apply for the IEC but here’s a simplified version:
- Choose your destination
- Find out if you’re eligible
- Choose an appropriate work permit. (Each country or territory may call their work permits by a different name)
- Gather all your documents
- Complete your online application
- Make those travel plans (if approved)
Friendly reminder, you have until January 9th, 2023 to decide where you want to go before applications open to the public.
Here’s what countries are available for this program:
- Costa Rica
- Czech Republic
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
- San Marino