Poutine, permits and pure joy! Those looking to work abroad can now apply for the International Experience Canada (IEC) Program ahead of the 2024 season, but there are a few things you have to know before you pack your bags.

Meant for people between the ages of 18 and 35, IEC is a reciprocal program that allows Canadian and international youth to work and travel in each other’s countries.

Related Posts:
Canada has a free streaming service & it’s adding more channels
Here are the strangest holiday traditions you’ll find across Canada


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Canadians Abroad (IEC) (@iec_abroad)

From Austria and Croatia to Greece, Italy and Japan, anyone who qualifies will be able to fully appreciate the food, culture, art and music of their chosen destination.

Likewise, those who live in participating spots will be able to experience all that we have to offer here in Canada.

Depending on your chosen location IEC has 3 participation categories.

Working holidays will allow participants to receive an open work permit that allows them to work anywhere in the host country to support their travels.

Young Professionals, however, will receive an employer-specific work permit to gain targeted, professional work experience within their field of study or career path.

Similarly, International Co-op (Internship) participants will receive an employer-specific work permit that allows students to gain targeted experience in their field of study.


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Canadians Abroad (IEC) (@iec_abroad)

Interested? According to The Honourable Marc Miller, Minister of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship, you can now submit a profile to the government.

“Canada benefits when young people around the world participate in International Experience Canada,” Miller said.

“This program will help Canadian employers in their search for talented employees, but will also serve to stimulate the tourism sector across the country. We also hope that young Canadians will take advantage of the reciprocal aspect of this program to gain work and travel experience from around the world that will serve them throughout their lives.”

The following are the current countries where Canadians can work abroad via this program:

  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Austria
  • Belgium
  • Chile
  • Costa Rica
  • Croatia
  • Czech Republic
  • Denmark
  • Estonia
  • France
  • Germany
  • Greece
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Italy
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Latvia
  • Lithuania
  • Luxembourg
  • Netherlands
  • New Zealand
  • Norway
  • Poland
  • Portugal
  • San Marino
  • Slovakia
  • Slovenia
  • Spain
  • Sweden
  • Switzerland
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom


View this post on Instagram


A post shared by Canadians Abroad (IEC) (@iec_abroad)

If, of course, you’ve already chosen your destination, you’ll have to follow the following steps to be considered:

  1. Find out if you’re eligible
  2. Choose an appropriate work permit. (Each country or territory may call their work permits by a different name)
  3. Gather all your documents
  4. Complete your online application
  5. Check your inbox and mail
  6. Book your flight!

Now get out there and enjoy! No matter where you choose to go, we’re sure you’re in for an incredible time.

Happy applying and safe travels!