It’s an open secret that Canada has got some of the top golf courses in the world, but it’s always nice to get a little reassurance. Golf Digest has ranked the World’s 100 Greatest Golf Courses, and 11 (technically 12) spots around the country have made the list!
These annual rankings look at the world’s best courses outside of the United States, and boy, do they have a lot to show off. From stunning new designs to incredible locations to serious heritage, and often a mix of the three, the rankings double as a bucket list for practically any golfer.
Know where to start? Right here at home! Here are the golf courses in Canada to earn their rank at the very top. And even better, over half of them are open to the public!
View this post on Instagram
- Cabot Cliffs, Nova Scotia (Overall Rank: 10) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- National Golf Club of Canada, Ontario (Overall Rank: 22)
- St. George’s Golf & Country Club, Ontario (Overall Rank: 32)
- Cabot Links, Nova Scotia (Overall Rank: 39) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- Hamilton Golf & Country Club, Ontario (West/South 9) (Overall Rank: 52)
- Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge Golf Course, Alberta (Overall Rank: 75) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- Capilano Golf & Country Club, BC (Overall Rank: 76)
- Banff Springs Golf Course, Alberta (Overall Rank: 88) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- Tobiano Golf Course, BC (Overall Rank: 90) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- Cape Breton Highlands Links, Nova Scotia (Overall Rank: 94) (PUBLIC COURSE)
- Toronto Golf Club, Ontario (Overall Rank: 96)
Yeah, we think that’s a pretty good representation of what Canada has to offer. You’ve got prestigious country clubs, you’ve got destination resorts, and you’ve got some serious heritage as well. Honestly, we listed the public courses more for our own convenience than anything- we’ve got a list going with a few friends and it’s always nice to add some more names to it!
Oh, and one final note for those taking a trip to Banff Springs? Make sure you keep their Heritage Golf Experience in mind while you’re there, to really embrace the course as the designer, Stanley Thompson, intended it to be.
Otherwise, start booking some tee times!