We believe that the holiday season is as much about reflection as it is about family, friends, and cringy Hallmark films. This past January feels like a lifetime ago. We were so naive, so positive, so ready for this to “totally be our year.” It was adorable, but now it’s time to look at look back at everything that actually happened. The unimaginable, the unexpected, the unusual.
So here we go, Canada! Put on your shades and some SPF 500, because we’re about to take a walk down the hell that is memory lane in 2020. Feel free to grab yourselves a pitchfork and some burning trash at the gift shop on the way out!
From our favourite films, names, and foods to what we were searching on Google and YouTube, let’s take a look at everything that was trending in Canada for 2020.
This year, Canadians were huge on comfort food, but that should really come as no surprise. When you can’t go within 6-feet of other humans, you need to find solace in something!
- Butter chicken
- Chicken Tenders/Nuggets
- Onion Rings
This year, Canadians did a lot of outside looking in. If our neighbour is the states, consider us a country of peeping Tom’s.
1. US election
3. Kobe Bryant
7. Kim Jong Un
8. Naya Rivera
9. Joe Biden
10. Trump vs. Biden
When we ran out of things to stream on Netflix and Disney+, many of us ran to the free content on Youtube. Apparently, we’re a country of animal lovers.
1. Mark Rober – Building the Perfect Squirrel Proof Bird Feeder
2. Dream – Minecraft Speedrunner VS 3 Hunters GRAND FINALE
3. Anonymotif – Justin Trudeau Sings “Speaking Moistly”
4. Netflix is a Joke – 8:46 – Dave Chappelle
5. NikkieTutorials – I’m Coming Out.
6. America’s Got Talent – Golden Buzzer: 10-Year-Old Roberta Battaglia Sings Lady Gaga’s “Shallow” – America’s Got Talent 2020
7. MrBeast – $250,000 Influencer Rock, Paper, Scissors Tournament
8. JeffreeStar – We Broke Up.
9. Dude Perfect – Quarantine Stereotypes
10. Paris Hilton – The Real Story of Paris Hilton | This is Paris Official Documentary
Oh, to be too young to understand the state of the world right now. This year, unlike years past, more simple-modern baby names came out on top.
Girls names 2020
Boys names 2020
— ⓂⒾⒸⒽⒶⒺⓁ (@PhotosMichael) June 14, 2020
As if COVID wasn’t enough, the country also saw several unreal weather-related events, disasters and anomalies this year.
1. The million-dollar hail storm – Calgary, AB
2. September skies: All smoke no fires – British Columbia
3. The Flood – Fort MacMurray, AB
4. Hot hot heat – Eastern Canada
5. Snowmageddon – Canada’s east coast
Canadians supporting Canadians. This is the way that it should be, don’t you guys think?
1. Blinding Lights – The Weeknd
2. Circles – Post Malone
3. The Box – Roddy Ricch
4. Don’t Start Now – Dua Lipa
5. Rockstar – Da Baby ft. Roddy Ricch
If this was any other year, we’d be ashamed to share with you guys that Canada’s most-watched film was a 50 Shades ripoff with one of the worst endings in film history – but in 2020, human contact was frowned upon so we’ll give you guys a pass.
2. The Christmas Chronicles
3. The Social Dilemma
5. Hubie Halloween
6. The Wrong Missy
7. Deadpool 2
8. The Old Guard
9. The Grinch
10. Project Power
We used to consider ourselves the checker’s type – but things change, people change. We’re grown now.
1. The Queen’s Gambit
2. Modern Family
3. Sons of Anarchy
4. Paw Patrol
5. The Last Dance
6. Family Guy
7. Unsolved Mysteries
8. Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness
9. The Umbrella Academy
10. Emily In Paris
Well, there you have it, friends, everything that was trending in 2020! Hopefully, that will be the last time we have to relive this year. Here’s to 2021, new trends, new experiences and new friends. Happy holidays, folks!
Read more in Lifestyle
Want more? Subscribe to our newsletter for exclusive deals, stories, info & more!