Summer is a time to explore patios, enjoy al fresco movies, vibe to toe-tapping music and have a darn good time. And thanks to Calgary’s hippest hood, aka 17th Avenue, this summer sure is going to be a fab one. The Ave is bringing back its Summer on 17th Ave events back for the second year. And we, for one, are thrilled!
Taking our summer plans to a new high, 17th Ave is bringing us three months of non-stop entertainment. From Wednesday, June 21st to Saturday, September 23, you can enjoy a fantastic lineup of events. The events will take over this lively neighbourhood five times a week.
The best part is that these events are free! Meaning, sprucing up your summer won’t dig a giant hole in your wallet.
The Summer On 17th festival kicks off with a bang on June 21 at Tomkins Park, where you can catch a sneak peek of what’s in store for the coming months. Immerse yourself in a diverse range of live performances and musical genres, setting the tone for a summer full of excitement. In addition, there is also some special programming planned for Canada Day and Stampede.
Here’s the list of programming you can expect on 17th this summer—
- Canada Day (11 AM – 6 PM): Celebrate with Indigenous hoop dancing, live music, roving performers and more.
- Stampede (3 PM – 6 PM): Groove to live, toe-tapping country music every evening. And check out some movies in the park on July 14, 15 and 16 at 3 and 6 p.m.
- Multicultural Mondays (6 PM – 8 PM): Gear up for a variety of activities and performances that bring out YYC’s beautifully diverse culture.
- Theatrical Thursday (6 PM – 8 PM): Cherish the city’s art & culture with improv performances, theatrical acts and more.
- Big Music Fridays (6 PM – 8 PM): Kickstart your weekend with killer music by popular local bands taking over 17th Ave every Friday.
- Saturday (6 PM – 8 PM): Witness a serious and fun blast from the past as cover bands and retro bands fill up the Ave with groovy beats.
- Sundays (9:30 AM – 10:30 AM): Start your Sunday with a healthy dose of outdoor workouts, courtesy of 17th Ave fitness studios League, Rumble, One on One Fitness and GoodLife Fitness.
- Sundays (2 PM – 4 PM): Calm yourself down and wrap up the weekend as live classical music takes over the Ave.
- Movie Weekends: Outdoor movie weekends are back folks. On the second weekend of each month, 17th Avenue will host al fresco movies with a different theme for each weekend. July 14-16 will be Western-themed movies for Stampede. August 11-13 they will be showing classics and family favourites. And September 8-10 it’s going to be raining superheroes.
So, don’t miss out on the summer extravaganza happening on 17th Ave. Indulge in great music, laughter, outdoor workouts, and captivating movies. And you can do so while supporting the incredible local businesses that make this district shine. Grab a delicious meal before the show or explore the unique shops that line the avenue.
Here’s to a wonderful summer!